I'm preparing to develop my very first Windows installer for a game I'm developing. I've heard NSIS recommended, but my needs are basic and I can't figure out what exactly is required.
I'd like a short NSIS script that can install a directory of files in the "Program Files" directory (requesting permission if necessary), create a simple shortcut in the Start menu, and register an uninstaller in the Add/Remove Programs control panel.
The uninstaller would just delete the directory and remove the shortcut, prompting for reboot if the files are in use.
Finally, I'd like to support upgrades by uninstalling all of the old files and installing new ones, prompting the user to reboot if the old files are in use.
I've seen some sample NSH scripts online that do bits and pieces of this; I'm trying to sling it together myself and it's looking like it's going to be hundreds of lines long. My code smells like the wrong thing.
Is the program I'm describing really supposed to be hundreds of lines of NSH? Surely there's an easier way?