I have created a tkinter GUI in the following structure:
import tkinter as tk
import threading
class App:
def __init__(self, master):
self.display_button_entry(master)
def setup_window(self, master):
self.f = tk.Frame(master, height=480, width=640, padx=10, pady=12)
self.f.pack_propagate(0)
def display_button_entry(self, master):
self.setup_window(master)
v = tk.StringVar()
self.e = tk.Entry(self.f, textvariable=v)
buttonA = tk.Button(self.f, text="Cancel", command=self.cancelbutton)
buttonB = tk.Button(self.f, text="OK", command=threading.Thread(target=self.okbutton).start)
self.e.pack()
buttonA.pack()
buttonB.pack()
self.f.pack()
def cancelbutton(self):
print(self.e.get())
self.f.destroy()
def okbutton(self):
print(self.e.get())
def main():
root = tk.Tk()
root.title('ButtonEntryCombo')
root.resizable(width=tk.NO, height=tk.NO)
app = App(root)
root.mainloop()
main()
I want to prevent the GUI from freezing when running a function (in the example code it's the function of the ok-button). For that I found the solution of using the thread-module as best practice. But the problem is that when I want to run the code once again, python returns this traceback:
RuntimeError: threads can only be started once
I'm totally aware of the problem that threads can be only starten once as stated in the error message. My question is: How can I stop a thread to start it a second time or does anybody has a better workaround for preventing the GUI from freezing and pressing a button/running a function multiple times?
BR and thank you Lorenz