19
votes

Is there any way to make a RESTful api call from django view?

I am trying to pass header and parameters along a url from the django views. I am googling from half an hour but could not find anything interesting.

Any help would be appreciated

1
Welcome to Stack Overflow! We encourage you to research your questions. If you've tried something already, please add it to the question - if not, research and attempt your question first, and then come back. - user647772
Then you should have considered it when asking your question. - user647772

1 Answers

35
votes

Yes of course there is. You could use urllib2.urlopen but I prefer requests.

import requests

def my_django_view(request):
    if request.method == 'POST':
        r = requests.post('https://www.somedomain.com/some/url/save', params=request.POST)
    else:
        r = requests.get('https://www.somedomain.com/some/url/save', params=request.GET)
    if r.status_code == 200:
        return HttpResponse('Yay, it worked')
    return HttpResponse('Could not save data')

The requests library is a very simple API over the top of urllib3, everything you need to know about making a request using it can be found here.